The evidence of things not seen
Been thinking 💭..... We can so easily live a life that requires no faith, and yet we read that without faith it is impossible to please God.We have recently found these so challenging: "When the Son of Man returns, will He find faith on the earth?" It doesn't say, "Will He find successful ministries, 'good marriages' or faithful people?". Have we settled for less than the best?
A prophetic word spoken over us recently by a trusted couple said, in summary, "You have settled, but God is stirring something up in you. There is a fresh expectation of the more that God wants to do in you and through you. You will say this is impossible, and it looks impossible, but that is when God gets all the glory."
This word confirmed a rising sense in us that it is time for us to be available more to the community than just evenings and weekends. we feel a sense of urgency to walk in our calling full time. But this seems impossible. With Judy's diagnosis, (and the couple who gave the word knew nothing of the diagnosis) isn't it time for us to be retreating, doing less, rather than doing more?
And yet our impact in the community is growing. I (Judy) have to pace myself and leave time for a nap every day (shoudn't everyone? 😉). My speech is slower, but still clearly understandable. I have to choose my words carefully, and people have to listen closely. This makes for very meaningful conversation. Don't you sometimes wish more of your conversations were like that, that people thought carefully, spoke slowly, and listened well?
December holidays and other family news
We had a lovely time with our family in Cape Town. Thanks to William and Amy's hospitality, all four families were under the one roof, chilling and chatting, and having fun together.
A highlight was the the professional photoshoot we gave to each other as our Christmas presents. As you can see from the photos above.
News from Nathan and Heather is that they are pregnant. Expecting in August. Oh, and they have just bought as house in Middleburg.
David and Robynne are settling well into a busy and fun-filled life in PE. We are enjoying being able to see them more often.
William and Amy are doing well. Amy is planning to visit soon.
![]() |
| Cape Point with Amy and William |
Judy's news
Generally, I feel very well, and am functioning almost normally, but I do find I get tired quickly and have to pace myself. There was a period of three weeks in which there was a marked decrease in the state of my hands. I still have a fair amount of strength and function, but after a morning of sewing, for example, I have aching in my hands and arms, and have to rest them for at least a day. This has been very hard to process emotionally, since you use hands to do everything. It has brought fresh reality to the concept that we are human BE-ings, not human DO-ings.
I saw a speech Therapist recently, and have exercises to do. They really are helping my speech and swallowing, which is encouraging.I spend time with various ladies in the community, as well as keeping on with the pilates, cycling and hippotherapy. I give a couple of Gr 12s in GLA an extra science class each week, and I still have one girl in Pretoria for a weekly online lesson.
I finished some contract work for Docscientia, a publisher of Physical Science text books. I enjoyed it very much, and hope there may be more like that coming up.
I made a prototype of a sensory blanket for a friend of mine, who wants to start a ministry / business making and supplying these.
Church life
We attended our second annual Global Camp at Eersterivier in January. What a privilege it is to be with people in a deep walk of faith.
We have stepped up at church to be welcoming new people and helping them integrate into the community and find a house church (life group). I initiate conversations with people I don't know, and invite them over for coffee. This is something we've always enjoyed doing, and now it just has the flavour of faith, the seemingly impossible.
We are coming alongside to encourage a few people who are starting businesses. One friend of Judy's wants to make sensory blankets, so Judy has made the prototype. Ian drew a team of businessmen around a guy to support him in expanding an already functioning business.
Ian's news
The roof structure for the GLA Technical School is complete! Thanks to the skills of Francis Chimusasa and local workers, I look at the final product and I feel proud. Two of the local workers have become proficient in metalwork and welding, and I am trusting that I can find them better-paid jobs in this field.
![]() |
| Stephano showing his newly-aquired welding skills. |
I will be spending the next two weeks sealing off the panels and other odds and ends before moving on to our new adventure that Judy mentioned earlier.
I went on a Father and Son camp with a matric boy whose dad is not around. I was a great time connecting with him and the other dads and lads. Despite the family not having two pennies to rub together, his goal is to do a Half Iron Man at the end of the year. To raise the finds, we assisted in him selling (60) pizzas at the school's "Free Market Friday". Next weekend they will have a stall at Oakridge Primary School sports day.Visits
It is a delight to have old friends visit. Celine Brown and Ronel Geldenhuis visited since the last blog. There is something special about the depth of relationship that only time can bring. We need to learn to nurture these precious gifts.
What's next?
Apart from the ministry mentioned above, we want to do a bit of a road trip in the near future, covering some of our favourite spots in South Africa. We will also be spending some time in Gauteng, visiting our amazing peeps.
What to pray for
- Sensitivity to the Holy Spirit
- Wisdom and obedience
- A team of 'advisers' around us to journey with us. We are busy setting this up. (Prov 15:22: Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.)
- God's provision
- Judy's health










Comments
Post a Comment