I&J BACK in JBay

I am back - what an adventure! 

Judy and I have been home now for a week and I'm starting to feel I can focus on evaluating the past five weeks, and how to look forward to the next season of adventures and realities. Thank you so much to those who prayed faithfully for me throughout.

During the US trip, I felt I was walking on a path that had been paved in preparation for me. In Birmingham AL, I worked with Grace Klein Community, raising support for Beats and Books, an NPO I have been involved in here in Jeffreys Bay. I only had to mention Cornie and Prima Ngosa, the local founders of Beats and Books, and I was welcomed as one of the family. They were unable to get their Visa approved because they are Zambian. 

In Pontiac Michigan, Cameron of Zera Ministries had prepared meetings for me in an amazingly thoughtful way. 

Birmingham Alabama - Grace Klein Community - FeedBHM 

The pace was something to experience. I arrived Sunday evening, the 5th of April, and was driven to my accommodation by the GKC financial manager, Dondee and her husband Dewayne. 

Monday 9 am was my first appointment, the handover of the car keys and the start of three weeks of morning, noon and night appointments. I self-navigated across the wider Birmingham metropolitan area on the right-hand side of the road! 

Most days consisted of a 5:30 men's meeting followed by a school or two, then either working at FeedBHM (Feed Birmingham) or going to a networking event or a church. The days usually ended with a meal hosted by friends of GKC for me to speak at.

GKC Staff Day - Creative expression

Getting to know the heart of GKC and FeedBHM was inspirational. FeedBHM is their food rescue initiative. Their approximately 45 staff and 450 volunteers retrieve good food, clothing and merchandise from local restaurants, grocers, and manufacturers. They store these in partner church buildings and warehouses across the city, and then facilitate the feeding of over 18 000 people per week, directly or with partners. I served alongside the staff and volunteers on several occasions and got to love them and their deep love for Jesus. 

It came home to me on several occasions that the word "feed" was not just meals but praying for people, giving them encouraging messages and drawing them into a deeper walk with Jesus. So precious. 

Hope Mountain Feeding Program 


An example of a partnership is Grace Responders. Chuck and friends have a heart for the inner city. They had received a donation of $10 000 and bought an old ambulance. Now they get food from FeedBHM, prepare it and supply hot meals and prayer to the homeless every Wednesday evening. 

The black ambulance used to deliver food

I certainly received warm Southern Hospitality from each of the generous hosts who assembled friends and invited me into their homes. I was invited to speak from my heart on marriage, life in Christ, and then to mention what Beats and Books is all about. Judy recorded a message on marriage in her cloned voice, and this was very well received. These relationships will be fostered going forward.  

New friends and interesting food

The numerous men's meetings were so encouraging. On several occasions I was asked to speak and encourage them and mention what Beats and Books is doing. What a privilege and the start of several good relationships. This will probably lead to some of them coming to Jeffreys Bay in the future. They tried to persuade me to develop a taste for Creamy Southern Cheese Grits, but alas, they weren't successful.


The famous Cheese Grits and some of the men's meetings  

I spoke at about 10 schools to promote the Book it for Rhinos initiative. We invited people to sponsor one child to see the Rhino whisperer at Lombardini resort in Jeffreys Bay. Some of that revenue goes to funding Beats and Books. What an opportunity to get an insight into the heart of schools across the city, ranging from well-resourced to under-resourced communities. My skills to enthuse grade 1 to 8 students about supporting children in Africa were severely challenged! Time will tell what fruit comes from that. 

The kids were fascinated with the rhino video.

An aspect that I didn't anticipate, but grew to see as essential, was the networking events I attended with either Jenny Waltman (Founder and CEO) or Jackson King (Community and Business Development Liaison). Grace Klein Community is well-respected and trusted throughout the Birmingham community and this has been achieved through consistent relationship-building. The highlight for me was to go to the Birmingham Annual Mayoral Prayer Breakfast. This annual event started after Billy Graham addressed a multiracial rally in 1964.  

Jackson, Liz and I at one of the networking functions

Birmingham Mayor's annual prayer breakfast

This city is in "the Bible Belt" and how evident that was! There seemed to be a church on every street corner! I visited several of them and several more home groups, building relationships that we will nurture in the season ahead. A highlight was sharing some meetings with GKC's Ukrainian partner, Kendrick. The way in which God is moving in the war-torn country is inspirational.  

I have come back with a deep respect for what God is doing. He is using a simple feeding scheme to feed a community both physically and spiritually while, at the same time, building connections and unity throughout the body of Christ. I will bring back a taste of this to Jeffreys Bay and trust Him for what's on His heart to implement here. 

Pontiac Michigan - Rochester Christian University 

Then on to Michigan. I landed, met Cameron and Lyndee Underdown and family, and went off immediately to the final student meeting of the academic year on RCU campus. On the way through the campus, we popped in to meet the university president, Dr Reggies Wenyika. He is from Zambia and has been to South Africa. Incredibly, we share some common acquaintances. We later had supper with him. What an anointed, bold man of God!

Cam, Lyndee and the family on the way back from the airport

RCU University president Dr Reggies Wenyika
and his wife Thapiwa.

 
Over the next eight days, I met and spent time with the team that is being assembled to run student campus life. Each one hand-picked and prepared by God for their assigned roles. With each one, I was introduced as Cam's mentor, which gave me instant credibility. I am so excited with what God is doing in the university. I believe it is going to be a beacon of Godly values to a nation of compromised standards.

Alexa has already moved onto campus
to look after international students

New student leaders - Brock (right) to lead Young Life and
Ethan (top left) Fellowship of Christian Athletes

Cameron is also an insightful IT visionary and developer and he uses this skill to disciple the next IT generation. I will possibly assist as project manager and prompt engineer for some of these projects. 

AI developer training meeting

Now for the fun part. I have become a supporter of the Detroit Pistons basketball team and the Detroit Tigers Baseball team. I even went to see the Tigers play one of their home games.

Baseball - the Detroit Tigers beat the Texas Rangers

I am so excited to see what God id doing with RCU and it is a privilege to be a small part of it's rebirth. There have been foundations set for several future engagements, ranging from further coaching to assisting with fledgling business development. 

Judy's adventures

Meantime, back in the good old RSA, I (Judy) was well cared for. I was home for a couple of weeks, with weekends at David and Robynne in their new home in Port Elizabeth. There was a beautiful baby shower. (Baby boy is due just over a week from now!)

I spent some precious time with Heather and Nathan and the girls in Mpumalanga, and then on to Cape Town to be with Amy and William. Everyone was very kind, and spoiled me rotten, but I missed Ian terribly and was very happy to be reunited with him and home by the evening of the 11th May.

Feedback Evening 

This is the advert we are putting out for a time of feedback.


Join us 
- Jeffreys Bay - GLA Upper Room
- Birmingham AL time: 11:30am to 12:30pm
- Pontiac MI time:  12:30pm to 1:30pm

What now?

Yet another new season has begun. In one sense, we have settled back into previous routines, in another sense, we are re-evaluating the road ahead. The trip has given me new insights that need to be prayerfully considered and new opportunities to explore. We need His wisdom. Judy's health path is another unknown. We would love to travel, possibly to the USA again, but this all needs careful thought and prayer. 

Please pray for us to know where to put our time and energy, with so many options open to us.


Comments

  1. Incredible to read and learn so much on all the amazing work that is being done for His Kingdom within our family. May God bless every journey and decision going forward, thank you for the write up. It shows seeds of hope and encouragement to know how deep the roots are all over the world. Sending so much love for all the new future adventures and prayers to you Aunty Judy and Uncle Ian. You will know them by their fruits πŸ₯³πŸŒΏπŸ‡

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing achievement Ian and Judy. May God continue to bless both of you. You are in my thoughts and prayers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grieving the losses, yet grateful

The next chapter