Living with the diagnosis, but not in it
I am doing so well in general. We have peace, and God has been close, but it has been a time of mixed emotions. I am learning to live for today, to be grateful for every good gift (and there are many), and not to let motor neurone disease become my identity. Relationships are becoming more tender and beautiful.
It is hard to find my voice and speech deteriorating. I love to chat, laugh and joke, and it is increasingly hard to be in a social situation with a large group. Leaving teaching has been hard, too, a mourning process, but gratifying to look back on nearly four decades of inspiring children. I'm picking up some consulting and editing work, already, so my passion and experience keeps going. I will stay involved, volunteering at the school here at Global Leadership Academy, helping the teachers who take my place.
I am doing a thing called Voice Banking, where I record several hundred sentences on a web app, and they 'repair' and 'build' my voice, so that later, when I need to, I can type in anything on the software and it will say what I typed - in my own voice.
My limbs and body are strong still, I am walking, cycling, doing pilates, aquatherapy and hippotherapy (on a horse). My knees are doing really well, the best they've been in twenty years.
Family news
We had a lovely visit from Heather, Nathan and the girls for a whole week in September. The time was long enough for them to meet some of our friends, come to church with us and go kayacking. Of course, the girls loved the beach. On the Sunday, David and Amy also came, and we had all the siblings together!
David and Robynne are settling into PE life. They are enjoying discovering all the things to do in the area, and we are joining them for some of it.
Amy and Will are well. Amy has passed her scuba diver instructor qualification and has enjoyed taking her first customers out.
Weekend away in a tree house
The family clubbed together and sent us on a weekend away on Speekhout farm in the Baviaans. It was a much-needed break.
Community
Us being “Mom and Dad” in the community is taking root, with us spending time encouraging people of all ages in their walk with the Lord, in their marriages and in their careers. It was special to have feedback from two of the Travel Varsity guys who say their highlight of the year was the weekly mentoring video call with Ian and Gawie (another guy in town). We also have the privilege of walking alongside a single mom raising her two boys, and some couples in leadership who have the normal challenges of raising young families.
In September, Judy was part of the team that ran a ladies camp. The theme was 'Suffering is never for nothing', based on teachings by Elisabeth Elliot. There were about 80 ladies there. It was a time of sweet vulnerability, and deep joy, as people better understood the kindness of the Father.
When we stayed in the “Tree House” BnB in the Baviaans that we mentioned earlier, we made friends with the owners, Mark and Paulien Enrieu. A few weeks later, we had a house church camp there, with about 18 of us there for a weekend. What a precious time of fellowship, community and encouragement! We plan to visit them again on our way down to Cape Town later this month.
Building update
The building of the technical school wing for GLA is progressing well. We managed to drag the shipping containers onto their correct positions without a crane. Quite a feat, especially during the rainy season! We were even assisted by the grade 6 class from Oakridge Primary School, whose teacher wanted them to catch the vision of the project.
The next big task is getting the roof on.
Fishy tales
Fishing season is in full swing, but not without its challenges. Out at sea recently, my first-timer-scared-of-sharks friend fell off his kayak. To ensure his safety, I swopped kayaks and suggested he head to shore whilst I get onto his boat and follow him in. Unbeknown to me, the kayak had a leak and soon I also fell off and swam towards shore, towing the boat behind me. My friend went ashore, assuming I was OK. After waiting a while, he contacted the NSRI who rescued me close to shore after I had been swimming for about 2 hours. At least we came home with four fish between the two of us. Needless to say, I have some boat repairs to do!
General
Judy had a visit to Pretoria to attend the Valediction service of Hatfield Christian School, and to touch base with some friends.
On Monday the 16th, we are leaving for our holiday, starting with some 4 x 4 camping, and ending up in Cape Town, where all our kids and families will be together at Amy and Will's house. We are enormously blessed.
Prayer requests
Thank you so much to those who keep in touch, and keep praying for us. We really appreciate it. Please send us some of your own prayer requests.
Our current needs for prayer:
- A safe and happy holiday with the family
- Judy's health
- For Judy to live with courage
- Wisdom and energy for Ian as the building project is finalised early next year
- The finalisation of the subdivision of our Pretoria home




















Comments
Post a Comment